You won't find me talking about politics much on here, but today is an exception. Last night Republicans attempted to pass a bill that would cut off funding for Planned Parenthood institutions nationwide.
I found out about this proposed bill last month when I went in for my refill of birth control. I was immediately livid. I could not believe that they wanted to devastate a wonderful program designed to keep women healthy. 90% of Planned Parenthood's services are preventive: birth control, preventing the spread of STD's through testing and treatment, and screening for cervical and breast cancer (1). These services are available to the 17 million women who do not have health insurance (2). 17 million women who are just trying to get by and can't afford much of anything. 17 million women who, if Republicans had their way, could possibly have had an unintended pregnancy, or not realize they had an STD, or not have anyone to go to when they have concerns about their health as a woman. Personally, without Planned Parenthood, I'm not sure if I could afford birth control. All because the Republican party decided they didn't want to let go of a few million dollars that's floating around this country.
I understand that Republicans don't want to provide funding for abortion. And let me tell you right now, I disagree with abortion. I love children. I don't think anyone has the right to terminate a child's life before it even gets a chance to begin. There are thousands and thousands of couples out there praying to God every night that they'll be able to adopt a child. Maybe if less people chose abortion, there would be more answers to prayers. However, that being said, I also believe in an individual's right to make their own decisions. I've seen firsthand how a woman's circumstances when she unintentionally becomes pregnant may be so overwhelming, so terrifying, so potentially devastating, that abortion may seem like a lifeline. I hurt for these women. But I also believe that they are stronger than they give themselves credit for.
Perhaps I can see the Republican's point of view in stating that they don't want to pay for abortions, even though it takes away many women's right to even have that choice available to them. But the bottom line is: "abortions accounted for just under 3 percent of the procedures Planned Parenthood provided in 2009" (3). Okay. So because you disagree with 3% of what this organization does, you're going to completely cut off funding to the 17 million women who desperately need it? Not cool. Also, I'm pretty sure that those abortions are already banned from using federal money.
Luckily, Democrats saved the day! (I'm going to happily believe it was because of my efforts to sign the petition to save Planned Parenthood!)
I am a woman. And as a woman, I believe it is so vital for us women to stand up and fight for our rights! Women have come so far in history, but that doesn't mean that still today there are injustices that happen all around the country and especially the world. We need to fight those injustices, however big or small they seem. Perhaps I am biased, but I believe that women are special. They are beautiful, loving, courageous, and strong in ways that men can never fully understand. We can't let men, or even other women, tell us any differently. I am proud to be a woman. It is so important for us to be responsible for our health, because we are responsible for tomorrow's generation. I am grateful that federal funding for Planned Parenthood was saved and vital health care will continue to be an option for 17 million of us. Women: keep on keeping on.
love,
lisapink
(1) http://www.plannedparenthood.org/about-us/who-we-are-4648.htm
(2) http://www.plannedparenthoodnj.org/library/topic/health_care_reform/list_benefits
(3) http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/apr/08/jon-kyl/jon-kyl-says-abortion-services-are-well-over-90-pe/

No comments:
Post a Comment